Easy tips on how to find personal style
As promised on friday today i am going to share easy tips on how you can find your personal style.
- First and foremost understand your lifestyle and your goals. For e.g If your lifestyle involves a 9-5 job then your wardrobe and personal style should support that similarly remember the old saying ‘dress for the life you want not the one you have’ so look at your life goals and what lifestyle you see yourself living couple of years down the line. Let your personal style evolve to reflect that.
- Know your body shape and your assets. Try a few different styles to know what silhouettes and shapes enhance your figure, if in doubt take a friend or family members help. This is important because no matter what style you like if it doesn’t suit your shape it will be a flop and you will eventually not be happy with it.
- Look into your existing wardrobe and see what dominates it. Can be shirts or tees or dresses or whatever. I ask you to do this because what dominates your wardrobe shows what you really like and feel comfortable in, there is no point to fight what you like, just have to play around with it. I know i am a jeans girl and if wearing jeans gives me confidence and is in sync with my lifestyle why the hell should i want to change wearing them!!! Strongly recommend going with signature staples.
- With steps 1, 2 and 3 done its time to get inspired. Whether you have or do not have a style icon i suggest you go to pinterest or instagram and save images you like. If you have an icon or two most of the images will be theirs and it will be an assurance that you genuinely like them otherwise you will find new inspirations so a win win. Now the golden rule to follow when you save images. Every image is made of 3 things 1. the outfit, 2. the setting, 3. the hair and makeup. You agree it is the mood the vibe of the image that attracts us, many times we just love the picture and not really the outfit but are not aware and clearly we don’t have to get inspired by that mood or the picture, it is the style we are looking for so when you break the image into 3 you will be able to clearly focus on number 1 the outfit. Then ask does the outfit match my lifestyle? Will it still be cute with my hair and my usual makeup? Have i ever worn it or something similar and how i felt? Save if you have positive answers.
- In your saved pictures you will see a clear pattern of outfits. There might be colour blocking outfits or monochrome looks or simple outfits with focus on accessories or prints or neutral colours or clean cuts or oversized or dresses or trousers. There you have it.
- Now put a label on the pattern you see. It is classic or minimal or effortless or bohemian or trendy or maximal, etc. There might be more than one label, allow yourself three.
- Its time to delete all the pieces from your wardrobe that do not fit and add new pieces that fit perfectly into your found style/label. But before you buy anything make sure the piece makes you feel absolutely amazing. You might not have the budget to do it all at once which is fine, personal style is a process add so remove consciously and slowly.
What i wore- jeans- zara, blouse- boohoo, shoes- topshop, earrings- asos
Once you find your signature style dont be afraid of repeating the same outfit in different variations. Don't let social media or anything pressurize you to wear something new or different every time. Look at the french girls!!! Thankfully i found my personal style and don't mind at all to wear my uniform of jeans 5 days in a row!!!!!
Have you found your personal style? Hope these tips are helpful.
Suggested posts- Why find personal style
- How to dress like a street style star
- How to dress effortless chic
Thank you for stopping by, see you with my next.