Cambridge, must visit city in England and things to do
No matter how much i love London its definitely not the synonym for cities in the United Kingdom. There are many vibrant, eye catching, full of things to do cities with the sweet weight of tradition. Cambridge is one of the tops. Its a university city and the moment you set foot you can tell that. Students an students, cycles an cycles.
1. Cambridge is just about 45 mins on train from London. So its an easy option to include in your itinerary even if its your first time in the UK. You can get a different and more authentic taste of England with a lot of character.
2. Its a fairly small city with loads packed in it making Cambridge a great choice for day trips.
3. Cambridge is home to 31 colleges each unique in their own way. Visiting all can be a lot but when in the city the must visit will be the Kings college with its stunning chapel. You actually wouldn't miss this one. The magnificent structure is visible from everywhere and its almost the case of 'all roads lead to it'. Another college that you would love to check out is Corpus Christi College. One of the most beautiful in Cambridge with a stunning Corpus clock nearby to marvel at.
4. Kings college chapel is awe inspiring in the literal sense. Both from inside and outside. When inside do check out the fan vault ceiling, the largest in the world and the wooden screen featuring some of the best italian wooden carvings in the UK as on date. Its called the Rood screen and was a gift from Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn.
5. Definitely do punting. Its a great way to see the city and parts that you wouldn't be able to see otherwise. If short on time you can check out most colleges from a distance while punting. Most punters are well versed with the history of Cambridge so with punting you not only see the sights but also learn about the history of the city and the colleges as you pass them.
6. Marvel at the Bridge of Sighs and the Mathematical bridge while punting.
Have you visited Cambridge ?